Richmond Therapeutic Riding Association provides Therapeutic Riding for people, primarily children and youth with disabilities. We offer several sessions of lessons throughout the calendar year. They are as follows:
- Fall Session – September to December
- Winter Session – January to March
- Spring Camp – 1 week in March
- Spring Session – March to June
- Summer Session – July
- Integrated Summer Camp(s) – August
Our lessons are ½ hour, semi-private and each rider is assigned a weekly time slot for the full session of lessons. Wherever possible, children are paired according to their level of ability and needs. Registration is on a per session basis and the lessons are offered at a subsidized rate of $35.00 each. Lessons are held during the week on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday mornings, as well as Monday and Wednesday afternoons.
Therapeutic riding is suitable and safe for most, but not all disabilities. Applications for the program must be obtained from RTRA. Once the application including the Physician’s Referral form is completed and returned, it is reviewed by the Program Director. If riding is deemed an appropriate activity for the individual, the applicant’s family will be contacted to arrange for an Assessment. The assessment appointment helps us determine the riders individual needs such as suitability, class type, physical activity tolerance, mounting technique, volunteer assistance requirements, horse assignment, appropriate equipment, availability and goals. Once assessed, the applicant is ready to participate in the program when the next suitable opening becomes available.
RTRA is a non-profit Society and we rely heavily on community support. The cost of providing the lessons for each child for the year is approximately $5,500. Riding fees cover $1,020.00 of this or approximately 18.5%. The remaining 81.5% of the costs are covered through the fundraising efforts of the Association. For this reason, there is an expectation that the families whose children participate in the program will assist the Association in our fundraising efforts. All families are asked to provide contact information to our Parent Committee. Representatives from the Committee will keep the families up to date with the fundraising efforts of the Society and ask for support and assistance at times. We have several fundraising events during the year for which parents will be asked to help.