The Richmond Therapeutic Riding Association is an organization built and supported by volunteers who generously give their time to our program.
From our volunteer Board of Directors who provide a solid foundation for the organization, to our Program volunteers who support to the riders and instructors in lessons, the society relies on the dedication and enthusiasm of those who are looking for a positive and fun way to make a difference. There are many ways you can help out and become a part of this wonderful organization.
We have a very enthusiastic and dedicated group of volunteers who help in lessons on a weekly basis. We are very proud to say that our volunteers have just as much fun as our riders do, in a setting which is both therapeutic and recreational! While previous experience is an asset, no specific skills with horses or special needs are required as training is provided prior to starting.
There are 4 sessions per year: Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer. Each session is 10-13 weeks long with the exception of the Summer session which runs for 4 weeks in July. Lessons run Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, morning & afternoon during those sessions. We also run a Spring Break and Summer Camp.
Program Volunteers start in lessons as Sidewalkers and help in the following ways:
- Help set up arena equipment prior to the start of lessons
- Assist the instructor during mounting
- Provide physical support to the rider during lessons
- Help the rider with directions given by the instructor
Once a volunteer has been with the program for a period of time, there are often further opportunities that provide a chance to enhance their experience at RTES such as training to be a horse leader, helping with special events & fundraising, or joining the Board of Directors.
- Attend a Volunteer Orientation & Training session (approximately 2 hours long)
- Minimum age of 16 years old
- Commit to morning or afternoon set of lessons (3 hours), once a week for length of a session.
- Be fluent in English (able to hear and easily understand instructions)
- Complete a criminal background check (once Orientation & Training session is complete)
- Complete the volunteer application download an application, and the volunteer release form download a volunteer release form
This program would not be possible without our valuable volunteers.